December 23, 2012 / Joanne Yeck

Buckingham Churches: Sharon Baptist

Sharon Baptist Churchphoto by Joanne Yeck

According to Thomas Baldwin’s Gazetteer of the United States (1854), in the mid-19th century, Buckingham County contained nineteen churches. My ancestors attended several, including Sharon Baptist Church. Located on Route 622 (now Sharon Church Road), it was founded on March 29, 1835, when the members of Pine Grove and the members of Gooseberry Meeting Houses combined forces to form Sharon. In February of 1854, it was proposed that a new church be built to replace Pine Grove Meeting House, which had served the congregation for over twenty years. The result, pictured here, is still serving Sharon’s congregation in 2012.

Not only did two generations of my Harris and Saunders families attend Sharon, but also my extended family, including Agee, Chambers, Maxey, and Winfrey cousins. In 2008, Gordon G. Ragland, Jr. authored, The Tie That Binds: The Stories of Sharon Baptist Church, Buckingham County, Virginia, documenting the lives of many members of Sharon as well as capturing an important part of the county’s history.

To catch up on other posts featuring Buckingham County churches included in the 1854 Gazetteer, just type Gazetteer in the search box at Slate River Ramblings. Enjoy the results!

1. Alice / Mar 21 2013 8:58 am

Just ran across this most interesting and informative blog…was only looking for directions to Sharon Baptist church…signed up for emails. I am always interested in any clues leading to info of my Buckingham Co. mysterious Samuel Robertson,my great-great grand-pa.
    Thanks for this neat site!
    Cuz Alice in Fluvanna

• Joanne Yeck / Mar 21 2013 9:33 am

Alice, Thanks for joining us! Is your Samuel Robertson associated with the Robertsons on Muddy Creek? Joanne

• Alice / Mar 21 2013 3:53 pm

Joanne,

as best I can figure, but no proof…I suspect his sister was Malinda Robertson, who married George Diuguid Maxey. I no longer have my notes on this reasoning. At this time I know she was Malinda Jane or also called Mary, but as to how I think she was a Robertson.
        I have not worked this recently, and guess now is as good a time to get back on it…
        Samuel Robertson married Sarah/Sallie Kidd – they were parents of Olivia June Robertson, my g-grand ma. She married John Albert Hudson and were parents of Edward Wingfield Hudson, my g-pa. The Robertsons and Hudson intermarry!

• Joanne Yeck / Mar 21 2013 4:52 pm

Alice, I recognize George Diuguid Maxey, brother of Frank N. Maxey of Well Water. Joanne

2. Lynne Henshaw / Dec 25 2012 8:37 pm

Joanne: You could thumb through the “cemetery” books and determine churches have cemeteries. You could determine by the information (birth and/or death dates) on tombstones about how old the church is. I believe there are about 75 church cemeteries, most of which have been published in the 3 volumes of Buckingham Burials. We are still working on this project, but have already done most of the church cemeteries. Bethlehem BC, and 1st Liberty BC are 2 that will be in volume 4. Mt. Nebo BC, and New Store BC have not been surveyed yet.

• Joanne Yeck / Dec 25 2012 9:07 pm

Lynne: Great idea! We’re all looking forward to Buckingham Burials, Vol. 4. Coming soon!

3. Joanne Yeck / Dec 23 2012 9:34 pm

Frank,

I know of no such list. Nor do I know the nineteen churches supposedly active in 1854. As we go along, I’ll mention other churches my family members attended as well as some mentioned in the Virginia Historical Inventory and other Buckingham historical accounts. Perhaps, we’ll end up with a pretty good list!

The Library of Virginia does have photostats of some Sharon Baptist Church minute books.

Joanne

4. Frank Murray / Dec 23 2012 9:06 pm

Is there a listing of all churches and if so have they been cross-referenced to know which ones have records at LVA prior to Civil War? Thank you.

Frank