In 1905, the Appomattox and Buckingham Times ran an article about the founding of Lithia Springs near New Canton. Located on the farm of Mr. W. L. Boatwright, the newspaper claimed that the springs were very valuable. The article went on to say:
For a hundred and fifty years they have been flowing from large rock the outside and water has been used by the people in this county and others for stomach, liver and kidney troubles, and skin eruptions. The use of the water was so beneficial to all who drank it that Mr. Boatwright was persuaded to have it analyzed. A sample was sent to Dr. Wm. H. Taylor, State Chemist and when the analysis was completed it exceeded all expectations and proved this water to be one of the most valuable in the world. The springs are now in the hands of a number of capitalists and business men who have formed the Buckingham Lithia Springs Co. They are now rapidly shipping this water to various parts of the United States, and the springs and grounds are being prepared for buildings and baths to accommodate demands for admission from sufferers with these troubles. At present the hospitable home of Mr. W. L. Boatwright has been procured to accommodate all visitors to the springs and a man is kept on the grounds to furnish people who come to the springs for the water.
Curious about health spas and springs in Buckingham County, Virginia?
Consult “’Going to the Springs’ in Buckingham County,” in “At a Place Called Buckingham,” Volume Two.