January 1, 2013 / Joanne Yeck

Buckingham Ghosts

Well-Water-School_Ghostphoto by Jeremy Winfrey

In all my travels in Buckingham County, I have not collected ghost stories. In fact, I’m not sure I’ve heard a single one.  I know quite a bit about the Moon family ghost who wreaked havoc just across the James River in Scottsville, Albemarle County.  But what about Buckingham?  With all the decaying and demolished structures, not to mention the lonesome graveyards lost to the woods, there must be some stubborn and vocal Buckingham ghosts!

Does your Buckingham family have any hauntings?  If so, please let me know and be sure to say if it is okay to share your story on Slate River Ramblings.  Thanks!

1. Pat / Jan 16 2013 10:58 pm

I’d like to hear about the Moon family ghost in Scottsville.

• Joanne Yeck / Jan 17 2013 7:13 am

I will add it to the list. It’s a very long story!

2. Teresa / Jan 10 2013 2:59 pm

I found a Buckingham County ghost story in the book Virginia Ghosts by Marguerite DuPont Lee published in 1966. It’s the story of Green Hill, which according to the book is about 50 miles from Lunchburg, and sits on a “high grassy hill overlooking the very wide and deep river a quarter of a mile below.” The house stood for 170 years and was the home of Col. John Cabell. Col. Cabell was described as a “man of fiery temper and strong will” and it is believed that he returned to haunt the house after his death. Apparently the “spirit world” appeared in this house even before John’s death and alleged hauntings. The author states that John, never a particularly religious man, found religion one day when a great wind blew through the parlor causing the pages of the family Bible to turn rapidly from beginning to end though no one touched it. Col. Cabell also saw standing by the table upon which the Bible rested 3 female figures. The author tells of two other instances, after the Colonel’s death, in which it is believed he was haunting his family. She says the family lost the house due to “the vicissitudes of war” and that it was purchased by someone outside the family. John apparently haunted the new owner as he had his family as the new owner was terrified to sleep alone in a room because Col. Cabell would come in and pull the clothes off the bed.

• Joanne Yeck / Jan 10 2013 3:26 pm

What a great Buckingham ghost story! I will do a little research about Greeen Hill and Col. Cabell and post more soon!

3. Harry Holman / Jan 2 2013 9:07 am

Dear Joanne,

Yes, the owners of “Humanity Hall,”–Mr. and Mrs. Stokes feel like the house has a “presence.” They relate to me that a young woman is seen in the very back room of the main floor. I suppose this is one of the sisters of Great grandfather Holman. I am more inclined to believe that this is Elizabeth Hales Holman who married Ambrose Ford. She died in child-birth–or shortly thereafter. She was twenty-seven at death. She was born in 1814 and died in 1831. She is buried in the marble top tomb in the rose garden.

Harry Holman

• Joanne Yeck / Jan 2 2013 9:15 am

Thank you Harry. I’ll develop Elizabeth’s story in a future post.

4. tim / Jan 2 2013 7:04 am

Perhaps some ghosts from the civil war?

• Joanne Yeck / Jan 2 2013 9:14 am

There may indeed be some Civil War ghosts hanging around, though no battles were fought on Buckingham soil. I keep an eye out for boys in grey.