Buckingham Churches: Maysville Presbyterian
Yet another of the nineteen churches in Buckingham enumerated in Thomas Baldwin’s Gazetteer of the United States (1854) is Maysville Presbyterian Church. In 1822, Rev. John W. Fulton, licensed by Hanover Presbytery, was sent to Buckingham County to establish a church. Two years later, Rev. John Holt Rice, D.D. organized the new church with nine members. By 1830, the congregation had grown to thirty-nine. The church building pictured here was completed in 1838 and is beautifully maintained today. Closely resembling the Buckingham Courthouse, it is located in the town’s Historic District. As would be expected in Buckingham, its roof is made of slate.
In 1997, Carl Coleman Rosen, Sr. wrote the comprehensive History of Maysville Presbyterian Church Buckingham Court House, Virginia, 1824-1996. In it, Rosen quotes from History of Maysville Church: 1824-1888, written in May of 1888, by Rev. Thomas D. Bell: “Being at the county seat, this church has exerted some influence over a considerable part of the county. It has always been predominant in the village of Maysville and its influence there for good has been very decided. The list of elders, numbering twenty-eight shows that more prominent men in the county have been in its connection than is usual in a church of this size.”