November 20, 2014 / Joanne Yeck

Buckingham Correspondents: Mrs. H. M. Culbreth

Slate-River-Ramblings_Dolly-Hooper

Henrietta Moseley (Hooper) Culbreth (1881–1976)

Courtesy Harry S. Holman and The Holmans of Virginia

Last September, the Slate River Ramblings post concerning Buckingham County Correspondents to The Farmville Herald inspired a lively conversation.  One of the regular contributors listed a Mrs. H. M. Culbreth.

Harry S. Holman writes that Mrs. Henry Clay Culbreth was born Henrietta Moseley Hooper in Buckingham County at Hooper’s Mountain, two miles west of Willis Mountain.  Affectionately known as “Dolly,” she was the daughter of Powell and Willie Ann (Holman) Hooper, attended Carterville Academy in Cumberland County, and continued her education at a business college in Richmond.  She returned to Buckingham and went to work as a stenographer for the enterprising Mr. H. M. White, one of the founders of White Hall (later Dillwyn).

To be continued . . . .

1. William Coleman / Feb 15 2016 3:44 am

Mr. Holman,

Are you aware that Rt. 633 (Rockmill Road) was originally named Hooper Road in the mid 1850s. I am your cousin as well. Best, Bill Coleman

2. Harry Stuart Holman / Nov 21 2014 10:16 pm

Dear Cousin Hal Coleman,

Thanks for the informative response which I immediately felt some error in your need to address me as Mr. Holman. I am your mother’s “Cousin Harry.” So first names will work find when addressing me.

A word of explanation should follow. Your mother was a major contributor to my Holman book which she has. Her father was Frank Hill Self. He was the son of Sam Self, whom you probably remember. Sam was the son of George R. H. Self, son of Mary George Holman Self, whose mother was Sarah Holman Holman–my ancestor’s sister. My ancestor was Capt. Tandy Holman of “Whitehall,” Buckingham Co., Va. Sarah’s husband was a Holman cousin of ours too. I am also connected to your Hills and Laynes, so, I am sure we have multiple connections in addition to the two Holman lines you have.

This is all very typical for those of us whose ancestors appear in Buckingham before 1800.

A new cousin for you,

Harry Stuart Holman

• Hal Coleman / Nov 22 2014 6:17 am

Hello “Cousin Harry”, Yes, I am very familiar my Self lines. I spent much of my youth at my grandparent’s home in Dillwyn (Frank Hill and Annie Lightfoot Self). My wife of 34 years is the daughter of Marjorie Self. As one of my cousins, Earl Patteson use to say “Are you still courting over in my neck of the woods?”. My mom passed away last October but she kept up with all her kin folk around Sharon and Hanes Chapel churches.

• Joanne Yeck / Nov 22 2014 7:12 am

Hal, Thanks for quoting Earl Patteson!

3. Harry Stuart Holman / Nov 20 2014 10:32 pm

Dear Mr. Figg,

Yes, I remember Mrs. Figg, having met her at St. John’s Episcopal Church, Columbia. She was a lady of the first order, and I am pleased to say I was an acquaintance of hers. One of Mr. Figg’s communicants at St. John’s, Columbia was a Miss Mary Randolph Baker, who married my Uncle Henry Hooper Holman. She remembered Mrs. Figg very fondly.

Mrs. Figg appears to be descended from Peter Guerrant. His sister was Magdelaine Mary Magdalen Guerrant who married my Uncle Robert Moseley of “Willow Lake.” This makes you a cousin to Dr. Joanne Louise Yeck and the Moseleys from “Wheatland” and Alexander Moseley who was the Editor of the Richmond Whig. I am sad to say that Mrs. H. C. Culbreth and I don’t share the Guerrant blood. I would be pleased to be kin to Mrs. Figg!

I want to make a correction to the earlier made Moseley comment. Robert Moseley and Magdelaine Mary Magdalen Guerrant (not Madeleine) Moseley arrived at “Willow Lake,” and they were followed into Buckingham County later by a NEPHEW William Moseley (d. 1828)–not a brother.

• Rachel A Hartley / Mar 9 2017 12:24 pm

Harry Stuart-can you please contact me concerning obtaining a copy of your book? Rachlsm@yahoo.com

4. Nancy Baldwin / Nov 20 2014 10:04 am

I just have to comment on the beauty of this lady. And I bet someone spent a good hour ironing that beautiful blouse! The sad thing is that she was alive during my lifetime. I could have possibly spoken to her about my Jones and Trent ancestors. Sigh…….

• Joanne Yeck / Nov 20 2014 10:08 am

Nancy, Dolly was beautiful and gracious too. More about her and her life coming next week!

• Harry Stuart Holman / Nov 20 2014 7:30 pm

Dear Trent reader,

I am her grand-nephew and know for a fact that she was well-acquainted with Mr. Stephen Trent of Buckingham County, whose daughter was the lovely Ms. Nan Trent Carlton of Tapahannock, Va., a dear friend of mine. I want to personally thank you for your kind remarks about her beauty, and I lament that she cannot hear them. Because of her great humility, she never understood how beautiful she really was.

Harry Stuart Holman

5. Harry Stuart Holman / Nov 20 2014 8:57 am

Dear Reader,

Robert Moseley of “Willow Lake” married Madeleine Guerrant. These were the Moseleys of “Wheatland,” the family of Alexander Moseley, the Editor of the Richmond Whig, and Mrs. Eveline Moseley Harris (Dr. Yeck’s ancestor). Robert’s brother William Moseley arrived in Buckingham in middle age and died in Buckingham about 1828. He was the ancestor of Dolly Hooper Culbreth and her siblings, including Mrs. H. S. Holman of “Greenwood,” Cartersville, Va.

Harry Stuart Holman

• Joanne Yeck / Nov 20 2014 9:30 am

Thank you, Harry!

• Hal Coleman / Nov 20 2014 5:32 pm

Mr. Holman, do you know the specific location of Hooper’s mountain? 2 miles west of Willis Mountain would place the location in the vicinity of Arcanum on Rte. 633 (Rock Mill Road). I do not recall anything even close to a “mountain” along that road. Classmate’s grandfather was John Hooper but their farm was closer to Steve Rainey’s farm and New Store.

• Harry Stuart Holman / Nov 20 2014 7:47 pm

Dear Mr. Coleman,

I am interested to know who your classmate might be because all of these Hoopers were very closely kin to me. My grandmother was the eldest daughter–six years older than Mrs. H. C. Culbreth–“Aunt Dolly.” They had a brother John Holman Hooper, but I have never heard of him being called John. He went by Holman, which served the purpose of confusing many of my father’s cousins who knew they also had an uncle named “Uncle Henry Holman.”(Such is the lot for folks with Buckingham kin).

The original house on this property known as “Hooper’s Mt.” sat due north of the graveled access road which leads off of 609–just before it crosses Willis River. This property lies between Rock Mill Road and U. S. Route 15. As one walks northward away from 609 on this access road, one finds the property line near what was Garnett’s Chapel where the Bookers are buried. Continuing northward,, one finally comes to a sense of going upgrade. This is the “mountain.” It appeared more noticeable from the north looking southward, which can be done in the vicinity of the old Amos Farm.

Harry Stuart Holman

• Hal Coleman / Nov 21 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info, Mr. Holman. My classmate was Ernest Hooper Bowling,III and his great grandfather was John H. “Jack” Hooper. They own “Oak Grove” farm near New Store. My stepdad was Stephen Woodson Trent, Jr. (Trent’s Mill). Steve Rainey is named for him.

6. jamiefigg@aol.com / Nov 20 2014 8:39 am

Somehow my paternal great grandmother’s (Constance Lacy Guerrant (Rigby) Buckingham relatives were married to Moseleys. Anyone know the connection ?? Jamie Figg

Sent from my iPhone

• Joanne Yeck / Nov 20 2014 8:49 am

Jamie, Thanks for your comment. Guerrants and Moseleys certainly intermarried, my line included. Good luck finding your connection! Joanne