January 19, 2015 / Joanne Yeck

Buckingham Houses: Woodside

Slate River Ramblings_Woodside_Virginia Department Historic Resources

Woodside, Courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources

In 1993, Woodside, which sits on a knoll overlooking the village of Buckingham Court House, was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

This two-story Greek Revival house was built in 1859-1869 for Dr. William M. Swoope and is a beautiful reminder of elegant, 19th-century living which few in Buckingham County could afford.

From 1871-1882, Woodside was the residence of Nicholas F. Bocock, a prominent local lawyer, and his heirs. He was the brother of Thomas S. Bocock, another Buckingham Notable.

1. Kimberly / Jan 19 2015 8:53 pm

I forgot to add: I think that Dr. Swoope’s first wife died (records are sketchy) and he married again as he had young children. He remained in the County, so one wonders if he sold the house (shortly after completion) because the new wife didn’t want to live in the house he had built for the first wife. Just speculation, obv.

• Joanne Yeck / Jan 20 2015 5:33 am

Kimberly, Thanks for the additional story. Dr. Swoope led an interesting and full life. Joanne

2. missshellbelle / Jan 19 2015 7:53 pm

What a wonderful story! It truly is a beautiful house! I can only imagine what it looked/s like inside!

3. Joanne Yeck / Jan 19 2015 9:28 am

Woodside is such a beautiful house! How fun to know that your mother grew up there and I delighted to learn that you were able to tour inside.

4. Kimberly / Jan 19 2015 9:19 am

Oooh! My mom grew up in that house! My great-grandparents lived there from 1940 until shortly befre my great-grandmother’s death in 1987. My GGF died in his room there in 1976.

The story goes that my GGM loved that house growing up because when she was in high school she used to stay there for sleepovers with her best friend whose parents owned it.

It was recently for sale and some of us were able to go through it again. It is still beautiful inside!

• Gabrielle Larew / Jul 25 2017 10:05 am

Hi I just discovered this story. Would love to learn more. I have owed Woodside for 21 years and have many original documents. I am so interested in finding out more about its history. Octavia Bocock seems like a one of a kind woman for her time. Please contact me . thanks so much. Gabrielle Larew

• Kimberly Bucher Maher / Jul 27 2017 9:24 am

Hi Gabrielle –
        Would love to chat with you about it. My email is Kimberly Bucher Maher at gmail dot com (just smoosh it all together).

• Karlynn Bucher / Mar 10 2018 2:33 pm

Hi, Gabrielle,

You and I have actually spoken on the phone. I am Kimberly’s mom and lived in the house for about 1.5 years in 1949-1950. Went to first grade in the same school house that my mom did. It is now an art gallery I think and can be seen across the creek from Woodside. My mom’s class was the last class to graduate from that school. Central High then became the county high school. I made an offer on the house several years ago because I would like to have gotten it back in the family. My mom was still living at that time and it would have been nice.

My Mom and uncles knew Miss Mabel Swope one of Dr. Swope’s daughters by his second wife I think. She taught school and I’ve heard her name all my life but never knew that her father built the house. Ruth Swope(I think her name was Ruth), one of Dr. Swope’s daughters, married a Hall and Tom and Charlie Hall were her sons. They were in school with my Mom. My Mom didn’t realize that their grandfather built the house. My Mom didn’t grow up in that house though. The family moved there in the early 40s. But it is the home I went back to for visits my whole life until my Grandmother died in 1987.

I still have a phone number for you, but I don’t know if it is still a good number. If you
        like I could call you. I don’t want to put my number on this site.

Karlynn