November 10, 2013 / Joanne Yeck

Detail Map: Buckingham County Northwest Corner

Buckingham_Map_Northwest_Horseshoe-Bend_SRR

Here’s the next in a series of detailed maps of Buckingham County, focusing on the part of the county that lies between the James River and Highway 20.

For thirty years, my Norborne Harris family lived in this section of the county at Chestnut Grove, near Centenary Methodist Church.  The farm was originally called the “Bondurant Tract.” Their neighbors included many familiar Buckingham County surnames:  Layne, Catlett, Moseley, Steger, Tapscott, Tindall, and Robertson.

Key for the “Points of Interest” in green:

18. Hatton’s Ferry

36. Yogaville

Also Note:

Rock Island Creek mentioned in the recent post about Buckingham Mills: Baber Mill.

Click here for more about Centenary Methodist Church, located on Highway 20, just south of Route 678.

Click here for more about Hatton Ferry.

1. Jim Shamp / Nov 19 2013 5:42 pm

I’m gradually more and more my family’s history in Buckingham County. My Great Grandparents, Elias J White, and Sarah White, lived in a house near Gold Hill that was called the Oak Dale house in 1990, when my 2nd cozen, Kate White, sold it. The 1880 Census gives the address for this house as Marshall, Buckingham Va. A document signed by my Grand Father, Daniel White refers South Hill Va. Are Marshal, Gold Hill and South Hill names of towns that no longer exist? What part of the county are they in?

• Joanne Yeck / Nov 19 2013 6:10 pm

Jim, I’m not familiar with South Hill. You are correct, Marshal and Gold Hill no longer exist as they did in 1880. Marshall was one of the districts in Buckingham. Slate River and Maysville were two others. Put Gold Hill in the search box on the right and you’ll get links to posts which mention the locale. You can see the location of Gold Hill on this map. https://slateriver.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/slate-river-district-detail-map/

• Lionel Jim Shamp / Nov 21 2013 6:52 pm

Thank you so much for your help. The more I find out about the places my ancestors lived, the more I want to know. While stationed at Fort Belviour Va, in 1972, I visited my 2nd cozens, Palmor and Kate White, who lived in the old family home. As I recall, you could see the Gold Hill Store, which was still operating, from their place.It’s owners had known my granddad, Daniel White. I believe that coming down hwy 15, we turned right on the first side road past Gold Hill, and the house was on the left. . I left with a detailed map of Buckingham county from several years earlier. I sure wish I could find that map.

Thanks again
        Jim Shamp

• Joanne Yeck / Nov 22 2013 9:23 am

Jim, From time to time I post sections of Buckingham maps, from various eras. Just type map in the search box on the right and you’ll get a list of map-related posts and hot links. Check back, occasionally! Joanne

2. J Winfrey / Nov 10 2013 8:13 pm

Is this the 1949 Buckingham map? The area surrounding the “Bondurant Tract” is my newest priority area of interest. Searching for the Tindall cemetery west of Centenary.

• Joanne Yeck / Nov 10 2013 8:28 pm

This map is dated 1991.

3. Joanne Yeck / Nov 10 2013 3:04 pm

Let’s call it a clean map, with landmarks, town names, creeks, and route numbers that are frequently referred to in historic material such as the surveys for the Virginia Historical Inventory.

4. busmap@netzero.com / Nov 10 2013 2:04 pm

Detailed map minus ‘road names’ ?